Friday, May 4, 2007

GOP Debate - 08

Disclaimer - I am not a republican, I am not a democrat, nor affiliated with any other political party!!

Now to my thoughts. I was watching the GOP debate last night because it was commercial free and I was playing a computer game and wanted something to listen to. After the debate finally got started and Chris Mathews stopped explaining the rules to the audience. I got the feeling that all the people on the stage wanted to distance themselves from the current president.

The first time I stopped playing my game was when Congressman Ron Paul spoke for the first time he was asked about his vote against the Iraq war which was a inaccurate question because no matter how many times people say we are at war congress never declared war and congress has not declared war since WWII. Ron Paul got my attention and kept it for the entire time he was speaking actually when he finished his answer I was clapping my hands. Ron's answer to the question was straight to the point and displayed his thought process.

Some of my feelings from the other candidates is that McCain is a warmonger and Mathews gave him too much leeway and more questions then the other candidates. Huckabee has a face like Nixon but none of Nixon's charisma. The rest of the lineup seemed like they were all clones and they did not impress me at all and some made me ill.

I think Ron Paul was given a softball with the question asking if he would eliminate the IRS. Ron took that softball and hit it out of the park. Getting rid of the IRS is a issue that will resonate with every American and who wants to fill out the forms before April 15th. Ron said multiple times he is not in favor of the Iraq war and that the foreign policy needs to be changed. The US is not the police of the world and the US should not be.

The abortion item is a issue I personally do not have feelings about this has been my stance since I heard about the topic. I think I have no say what goes on in another person's body and I would like the same respect. I can see the argument from both sides but as I look at the issues that come up with the war on drugs I see what happens when the government prohibits something but I think if people in a town do not want abortions going on in their town they can make a law that says that but the people of the town will have to bear the responsibility. From what I have been able to find Ron Paul would not make a law prohibiting it but leave the decision up to the community as the 10th amendment says.

No comments: