Friday, May 11, 2007

Why Down with Big Brother?

I figure I should explain why I named my blog "Down With Big Brother". For starters if you have not read 1984 by George Orwell please take some time to read it free Here. The book is fiction but I think we all know fiction can become a fact especially with time. I as a American believe that we are at a fork in the road we can either proceed toward liberty where every person who lives in the States is free to do what they wish as long as they do not harm another person, or to a police state that will make Nazi Germany, and Communist Russia blush. I would like to see the first option prevail but to get freedom personally you and I have to make sacrifices.

What does the statement "Down with big brother" mean to me? It is sort of a rallying cry to say I can make decisions for myself I do not need or want someone looking over my shoulder telling me don't do that or this. People learn the consequences of decisions one of 2 ways.

1. They plunge in make the choice and then have to deal with the consequences. This is learning by making mistakes sort for example I make the decision to touch a hot stove with my hand the consequences are that I will get burnt.
2. Research other people that have made the decision previously and make the choice based on that research. For example I will research what a stove does and what high heat can do to a human body and I make the decision to wear a protective glove before touching the stove the consequences are that I do not get burnt because I took the actions of others before me and added a new variable to the problem.

Big brother is there to make the choices you are just a puppet and Big brother is pulling the strings. I don't know about you but that sounds like slavery to me and I do not want to be a slave.

Now the question is for you. Will you choose to support Big Brother or will you choose to make decisions for yourself only you can make that decision.

No comments: